It’s hard to resist a good piece of bread, especially when it’s slathered in butter or jam. But if you’re trying to lose weight, you might wonder if eating bread completely is off-limits.
Well, we all know that bread can be a diet killer, even if you make your own bread at home. But just because bread isn’t the healthiest food out there doesn’t mean you have to give it up entirely. In fact, plenty of options are perfect for people trying to lose weight.
In this post, we’ll talk about a few of the healthiest bread for weight loss. Here are the top ones:
1. Rye bread
The first thing to note is that rye bread generally has a low glycemic index compared to other types of bread. That means it won’t cause your blood sugar levels to spike as dramatically as other types. And when your blood sugar is stable, you’re less likely to experience cravings later.
Rye bread is also higher in fiber than other types of bread. And fiber helps keep you feeling full and satisfied after eating. That said, you’re less likely to snack on unhealthy foods later on.
Also, since rye bread takes longer to digest, you’ll have steadier energy levels all day. But even within the category of rye bread, there are other types to choose from— whole grain rye and traditional rye.
So, which is the better choice? Let’s take a look.
|Whole Grain Rye Bread||100% whole grains, meaning all three parts of the grain (the germ, endosperm, and bran) are in the bread. And it results in higher fibre content and more vitamins and minerals.||Low glycemic index: Won’t cause your blood sugar to spike as much after eating it.|
|Traditional Rye Bread||A mix of white flour and whole wheat flour – generally in a ratio of 60:40. That means it still has some whole grains, but not as many as whole grain rye.||Higher glycemic index: Will cause your blood sugar to spike more.|
2. Whole grain bread
Whole-grain bread has flour containing all three-grain kernel parts. Wherein it retains more fiber and nutrients than refined grains like white bread. Besides, fiber is vital for weight loss for a few reasons, such as:
- Aids in making you feel full after eating, which means you’ll eat less.
- Slows down the absorption of sugar, which regulates your sugar levels and stops dreaded energy.
- Binds with water in your digestive tract, which helps prevent constipation.
Also, whole-grain bread has more protein and fewer carbohydrates per slice than white bread. And since protein takes longer to digest than carbs, it helps keep you feeling fuller. Plus, protein boosts metabolism and promotes muscle growth.
Watch this video to learn how to make whole-grain bread on your own:
3. Whole wheat bread
Whole wheat bread is one of the healthier options out there, and it can help you lose weight in a few different ways.
- Low in calories. Per slice of whole wheat bread has only 80 calories, while a slice of white bread has 100 calories. That means you can eat two slices of this bread for the same calories as one slice of white bread.
- High in fiber. A slice of whole wheat bread has three grams of fiber. And so, you’re less likely to overeat or snack between meals.
- No high fructose corn syrup. This sweetener is often used in processed foods and can contribute to weight gain. If you’re trying to lose weight, it’s best to avoid foods that contain fructose corn syrup.
- Healthy option for low-carb intake. It’s low in calories, high in fiber, and made with whole-grain flour. And these things are good for your health and weight loss goals.
- Made with whole wheat flour. This flour is more slowly digested by your body, which prevents hunger.
4. Flax bread
Who would have thought that one of the healthiest bread types for weight loss would be from flax seeds? Flax seeds are a great source of fiber, which helps to keep you feeling full after eating. They’re also high in omega-3 fatty acids, which promote weight loss.
Plus, flax seed contains lignans that can help to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. And so, whole flax is a healthy bread option for those trying to lose weight. Here are some reasons why:
- Contains healthy fats. Unlike other bread high in unhealthy saturated fats, it has healthy fats from flax seeds. And so, these healthy fats will keep you feeling full and satisfied after eating.
- Gluten-free. Also, since it has gluten-free ingredients like brown rice, it’s great for those with gluten sensitivities.
- Tastes great. This bread has a delicious nutty flavour that makes it enjoyable to eat.
5. Sourdough bread
While many options are available, sourdough bread is one of the healthiest because—
- Easy to digest. Sourdough bread is fermented, so the helpful bacteria start to break down. And that makes it easier for your body to digest and absorb the nutrients in the bread.
- All-natural. Sourdough bread doesn’t contain any artificial ingredients or preservatives. Most sourdough bread contains simple ingredients: flour, water, salt, and yeast.
- Easy to find. You can find sourdough bread in a supermarket’s bread aisle or most health food stores.
Here’s a great guide on making Sourdough bread at home.
Next time you’re at the store, don’t forget to pick up some of these healthy bread options. They will help you in your weight loss journey without sacrificing taste. And when it comes to holistic and healthy eating, eat bread in moderation.