We made cheesecake-marbled brownies for Thanksgiving dessert and they were excellent. Brownies with cheesecake mixed in – how can you go wrong!
The recipe was originally in Gourmet magazine, but as usual, my wife made some changes along the way. This recipe is a definite keeper!
For the brownie batter
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
For the cheesecake batter
8 oz. cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Make brownie batter
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour 8-inch square baking pan. (we used a rectangular pan, and it came out fine)
- Heat butter and chocolate in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, whisking occasionally, just until melted.
- Remove from heat and whisk in sugar, eggs, vanilla, and a pinch of salt until well combined.
- Whisk in flour until just combined and spread in baking pan.
Make cheesecake batter
- Whisk together cheesecake batter ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
- Dollop over brownie batter, then swirl in with a knife or spatula.
- Bake until edges are slightly puffed and center is just set, about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. You can even put some ice cream on top, especially if served warm.