NEW ZEALAND WOMAN DIES FROM STREET FOOD POISONING IN THAILAND

Sarah-Carter-160wide

Sarah Carter, a woman from Wellington, New Zealand, died last week in Thailand from food poisoning.

According to Newstalk ZB, Sarah Carter died in Chiang Mai on Sunday after eating some toxic seaweed that she bought at a street food market.

People in Thailand are being told to keep the death of a Wellington woman from food poisoning in perspective.

Harvey World Travel Porirua owner Bill Kwan says although people can get an upset stomach when traveling to countries like Thailand, dying from food poisoning like this is extremely uncommon.  “Whenever you do anything like that, when you go overseas, there’s always going to be a risk,” he told Newstalk ZB. “You can’t always avoid risk but if you follow the general guidelines and common sense you can minimise it.”

Mr Kwan suggests eating in tourist areas, carrying hand sanitizer and drinking bottled water.

This is obviously an extreme case, but you should always exercise caution and use common sense when eating street food, especially in third-world countries.


2 COMMENTS

  1. “use common sense when eating street food, especially in third-world countries.”

    why not especially on American streets? Many of those trucks you feature look grimy to me. the vendors look dirty.

  2. I’ve had NY street food every weekday for lunch for over a year now, and only had 1 incident. And that was a one-off problem from one of my favorite places, who I’ve been to many times.

    I do my research before trying a new truck or cart, and haven’t had any problems to speak of with these vendors. Delis and restaurants can be just as bad. I got food poisoning from a high-end restaurant in L.A . a few years ago, so go figure.

    I can’t say that I’ve ever heard of anyone dying from US street food, but common sense should always be used, everywhere. Go where there are other people on line or waiting, and if a place looks dirty, walk away and try some place else.

LEAVE A REPLY